Blog Post Castle Story 101: Bricks

Discussion in 'Dev News & FAQ' started by Jono20201, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Jono20201

Jono20201 MPServ.net Game Servers Staff Member Administrator

2. Jono20201

Jono20201 MPServ.net Game Servers Staff Member Administrator

Its nice to know this game has some gravity physics. I'd like to know if they just disappear or if they use some cool Unity effect to fall to the ground, and bit like how the bricks made a big mess in the demo video.
    Lycrios likes this.
  3. AwesomeFerret

AwesomeFerret Member

Awesome! So everything I learned in my LEGO obsessed childhood is applicable here? That's really good to know. Now I can start planning all the mad, yet architecturally sound structures that I'm going to build!
    Noc and Jono20201 like this.
  4. Inferndragon

Inferndragon Active Member Wiki Editor

I was wondering about the physics anyway. So this has cleared my mind of doubts and it shows the achievable thoughts.

Its a shame though that bridges will have to go Upwards... with no chance of downwards...
  5. DarkDXZ

DarkDXZ Member

Maybe they will provide us with alternate way of travel, because if you wouldn't be able to go down safely, you would have a bit of problem when spawned at a highest island in a given map.
  6. TheRealRMike

TheRealRMike Active Member

I actually thought they choose for a 1x2 brick just because it looked better. Guess I was wrong.
  7. Inferndragon

Well if you think of it... You could build a stairway to 'heaven' then blow it up... Making your Brickton fall onto the other island... Then you can build a bridge connecting the islands together.
    [​IMG]
    Really quick drawing

Well they also chose a brick style so it doesn't copy the minecraft style. Bricks are strongest when like:

[​IMG]

anyways... If you were to add 2 layers of walls with added thickness the building would be more secure.
    TheRealRMike likes this.
  8. AwesomeFerret

AwesomeFerret Member

It does look better too I would say. Plus, given the tendency towards realistic construction that we've seen so far, it only makes sense to go with something that makes sense based on real world architecture.
  9. TheRealRMike

TheRealRMike Active Member

I haven't thought of that yet! Adding more layers could definitely spice up the difficulty of conquering other Castle's!
  10. Inferndragon

There added the example with steps:

Step 1: Build you stairs
    Step 2: Move brickton to end
    Step 3: Blow up the bottom supports
    Step 4: Brickton should fall onto the Island... If not repeat step 1 to 4.
    Step 5: Brickton collects resources to build stairs to previous Island
    Step 6: Brickton completes building... Causing Both islands linking together.
    AwesomeFerret likes this.
  11. AwesomeFerret

AwesomeFerret Member

See, this is the kind of thinking that I think will seperate the really good Castle Story players from the ones who just sit on one island not doing anything. Good job.
  12. Inferndragon

Also that method is a good way for a 'surprise attack' Falling on top of the enemy bases :3
    oliver_figson likes this.
  13. AwesomeFerret

AwesomeFerret Member

I have an awesome image in my head of an enemy castle being suddenly surprise attacked by hundreds of little bricktrons falling from above and splatting all over their castle. Sure many don't survive, but the enemy will be sticky forever! *laughs evily*
  14. Inferndragon

Yeah, you can go Assassin's Creed on them...
    [​IMG]
  15. AwesomeFerret

AwesomeFerret Member

That would be so cool. I want to see a bricktrons dressed as Ezio all of a sudden. Also, I think your picture link is broken.
  16. Noc

Noc Member

Well, I definitely like the direction you're going. I was worried you wouldn't innovate, but you definitely did :)

However I am a bit confused why you wouldn't allow both cubes and 1*2s. I think it would make sense to allow both, giving the player more freedom.
  17. AwesomeFerret

AwesomeFerret Member

They do allow them, observe in the video the menu in the video, half blocks are in there.
  18. Intradox

Intradox Forum Developer Staff Member Administrator

Edited original post to make it more clear that this came from the developers blog ;)

That would be awesome :)
  19. DMII

DMII Active Member

There are also cubes in the game. How do you think they build the wall of cubes in the screenshot? ;)

Fixed that for you :D
  20. Inferndragon

There are Half Bricks (Cubes), Bricks, Arches and many more types of materials.