Will the prototype include debug menu?

Discussion in 'Questions [ARCHIVED]' started by Zeref, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Zeref

Zeref Active Member

Just for messing around. :p
  2. Brotolemaeus

Brotolemaeus Well-Known Member Wiki Editor

Eh, I hope not. Once I start cheating at a game I rapidly lose interest.
  3. Zeref

Zeref Active Member

Ah, true, true. Well, whatever, I'll deal with it. :p
  4. Gijs

Gijs Active Member

I don't think so, but we don't know until it's there :)
  5. bills6693

bills6693 Moderator Staff Member Moderator Wiki Editor

yeah same, once I cheat too I just get bored of it...
  6. kuulness

kuulness Member

I think the debug menu will be there for the prototype, how else are you going to spawn your little bricktrons?
  7. Andrea

Andrea Member

Debug menu will be very useful in a "free mode", we could build and test a lot of different situation and we can bring the prototype to its "limit". I think we need a "normal" game without it and a "free game" with this menu. I hope they'll add it.
  8. Zeref

Zeref Active Member

Yeah, well, I thought it would make sense to include the debug menu in the prototype. I mean, that just makes sense.
  9. Doktor J

Doktor J Active Member Wiki Editor

Including the debug menu may be a valuable way to allow us to test features that otherwise aren't fully implemented yet (for example, if the big corruptrons don't spawn naturally yet -- you could use the debug menu to throw a couple out in the field). If they do include it though, it'd be nice to have an option in the main menu to disable it for "strictly gameplay" testing.
  10. kuulness

kuulness Member

Regular coruptrons wont spawn yet
  11. steveman0

steveman0 Member

Considering they are assembling the prototype for IGF I expect that they'll cut it out. The beta is meant as the first real phase of testing so the debug menu isn't necessary. The prototype is just meant for a small taste of the core action so a few bricktrons, the ability to mine and build, and a decent sized map to explore is all that it needs. I won't get my hopes up for more than that so I'm not disappointed.
  12. Tyran Scorpi

Tyran Scorpi Active Member

This. Altho its possible that the reason for the delay on the proto is so that they can implement corruptrons before deploying the demo.
  13. kuulness

kuulness Member

What do you mean by implementing corruptrons? Do you mean like they spawn automaticly?
    HeroicTron likes this.
  14. bills6693

yeah, I was under the impression the delay is because they are implementing and adding as much as they can before releasing it, for IGF too.
    HeroicTron likes this.
  15. Brotolemaeus

The only part from the debug Id like to see is the ability to spawn corruptrons to test defences.
    HeroicTron likes this.
  16. bills6693

it makes sense from a testing point of view, to test scenarios that would take hours to get to if playing normally...
  17. Doktor J

Doktor J Active Member Wiki Editor

Right, and until Sauropod has the budget to hire a full time QA person or two, us loyal KS backers with the prototype are going to be their QA team. The most effective way to QA a game as thoroughly as possible is to have debug tools that allow a player to basically fast-forward through to the "end game" (i.e. massive resource stockpiles, and massive hordes of enemies bashing at your castle gates).

That's my thoughts anyway :)
    HeroicTron likes this.
  18. bills6693

well thats what beta is for :p bugs should be ironed out at beta without a debug, but I think the prototype could have one for end-game testing...
  19. Andrea

Andrea Member

Real players are the best beta-tesers... I hope they release some sort of pre-beta, and update it with a little piece of now each time. It would be awesome.
    HeroicTron and Jourei like this.
  20. Brotolemaeus

I am sure it will be similar to minecraft, the barebones game with additions being added each updated and then debugged.
    HeroicTron likes this.